St. Joseph's College Devagiri
History

Established in the year 1956, the college St. Josephs College, popularly known as Devagiri College envisioned by the C.M.I Congregation, is a Christian minority institution and was formally inaugurated by the then Governor of Madras.

First affiliated to the University of Madras and then to the University of Kerala , this college is now under the University of Calicut .

Maintaining an ideal ambience and striking a delicate balance between curricular and co-curricular activities, this institution has produced more than 180 toppers in University examinations, won the University athletic champions seventeen times, produced artists who have won laurels at national levels, and nurtured sportsmen and professionals of international reputation.

 St Josephs College, Devagiri, affiliated to the University of Calicut has been imparting quality education for the last 55 years as one of the most prestigious Arts & Science Colleges in Malabar. True to its Motto, PRO DEO ET PATRIA (For God and Country), the institution works with commitment to create a just and humane society, upholding national integration and religious harmony, with special emphasis on the enrichment of the poor and the marginalized. As a recognition of its achievements and endeavours in the academic, cultural, and socio-economic sectors, NAAC had accredited the College with A Grade in 2004, and the institution was re-accredited with CGPA 3.63 on four point scale in 2011. The College was recognized as a “College with Potential for Excellence” by UGC in 2011.

With ten Post-graduate Departments, five Research Centres, and separate wings offering M.G. University off-campus programmes and courses recognized by DOEACC and ICAI, Devagiri College has maintained its reputation for diversification. This institution is now provided with an eight-lane track stadium, an auditorium and an open-air theatre, a computerized library of about 50000 books and journals, a total of forty-seven computers installed in different Departments and Laboratories, and independent Internet facility at appropriate locations. About half of the seventy-five permanent teachers here are either PhDs or rank holders. More than a score of forums and clubs that actively function here supplement the effort of the teachers. For all these reasons Devagiri College is now much better poised to develop the intellectual, athletic and artistic potential of the students.

 

FROM THE COLLEGE CHRONICLE

 1956     Jan. 1       :     Laying  the Foundation Stone of the College  Building by Rev. Fr. Hormice, CMI, the Cofounder.

1956     July 2        :    Classes Started

1956     July 9     :      Dedication of the College Building by  Rt. Rev. Dr. Sebastian Vallopilly,      Bishop of Tellicherry

1956     Sept. 25   :     Formal Inauguration of the College by Mr. Sriprakasa, Governor of Madras

1958                     :     Devagiri College -- Block 2

1959                     :     MA English

1959                     :     MSc. Mathematics

1959                     :     NCC Building

1960                     :     Sports Pavilion

1961                     :     Tagore Hostel

1962                     :     Students Centre (Canteen)

1963                     :     Extension of the Eastern Wing of the College

1963                     :     BSc. Botany

1965                     :     Extension of the Western Wing of the College

1967                     :     Priests Quarters

1972                     :     Eight Lane Track Stadium

1977                     :     Library Building

1977                     :     B.Com

1981                     :     MSc. Botany

1982                     :     MSc. Zoology                    

1990                     :     New Office Block

1991                     :     New Basket Ball Court

1994                     :     PTA Conference Hall

1994                     :     PGDCA (A-Level)

1995                     :     MA Economics

1995                     :     Zoology Dept. approved as a Research Centre

1998                     :     MSc. Chemistry

1998                     :     DCA (O-Level)

1999                     :     MSc. Physics

1999                     :     Introduction of Internet Facilities

1999                     :     Commerce Block

2001                     :     MCom.

2001                     :     Delinking of Pre-Degree Course from the College

2002                     :     Botany Dept. approved as a Research Centre

2002                     :     Professional Education-1 (PE 1)

2002                     :     Professional Education-2 (PE 2)

2003                     :     MSW

2003                     :     MSc. Statistics

2003                     :     ICWAI  Foundation  Course

2003                     :     Admission to Girl-Students to Degree Courses

2004                     :     NAAC Accreditation with A grade (88.15%)

2005                     :     B-Zone & Inter-Zone Arts Festival Championship

2005                     :     Inauguration of Golden Jubilee Celebrations

2005                     :     UGC-Sponsored Add-on Courses

2005                     :     ICWAI Intermediate Course

2005                     :     DTP Centre

2005                     :     National Exhibition and Cultural Fest

2006                     :     Golden Jubilee Year

2006                     :     Golden Jubilee Special Postal Cover Released

2006                     :     English Dept. approved as a Research Centre

2006                     :     Chemistry Dept. approved as a Research Centre

2006                     :     College Recognised as a Distance Education Centre of Calicut University

2006                     :     ICSI Foundation Course

2006                     :     Zoology Wing, Second Floor

2006                     :     Counselling/Career Guidance Centre 

2006                     :     B-Zone & Inter-Zone Arts Festival Championship

2006                     :     Library Automation

2006                     :     UGC-NET Coaching

2006                     :     Digital Language Lab

2007                     :     B-Zone & Inter-zone Arts Festival Runner-up

2007                     :     Sports Authority of India (SAI) Coaching Centre

2007                     :     Devagiri Film Club

2007                     :     Coaching Centre for Common Proficiency Test

2007                     :     Valedictory Function--Golden Jubilee Celebrations

2008                     :     Conference Hall

2008                     :     MSW Wing

2009                     :     B-Zone Arts Festival Runner-up

2010                     :     Recognised as "College with Potential for Excellence"

2010                     :     B-Zone Arts Festival Runner-up

2011                      :     NAAC Reaccreditation at Grade A (CGPA 3.63)

2012                     :     BBA 

2012                     :     BCA  

2012                     :     BSc Computer Science    

2013                     :     B-Zone & Inter-Zone Arts Festival Championship

2013                     :     B.Com (Self Financing)

2013                     :     Devagiri College -- Fr. Theodosius Block

2014                     :     B-Zone & Inter-Zone Arts Festival Runner-up

2014                     :     MA Malayalam

2014                     :     BSc Psychology

2014                     :     BA Functional English

2014                     :     BA Mass Communication

2014                     :     Chavara Hostel for Women

2014                      :     Devagiri College becomes an Autonomous College

 

 



CONTACT US
St. Josephs College (Autonomous), Devagiri
Devagiri, Calicut
Kerala
India  673008
Phone : 04952355901
Fax : 04952355828
E - mail : sjcdevagiri@yahoo.co.in
Website : www.devagiricollege.org
Copyright © 2015-2016 - devagiricollege.org