The department was started in 1957, raised to postgraduate status in 1982 and recognized as the first research centre in the college in 1995. It is now equipped with modernised labs for undergraduate to post doctoral studies and one of the best museums in Kerala.
All the faculty members are PhD holders and majority of them have undertaken major and minor research projects funded by various national and state agencies. As a result of serious research activities by the teachers, a good number of publications come out in reputed international/national Journals .
This department has the glorious record of having produced 46 University rank holders and more than 30 UGC/CSIR NET holders.