The PG and Research Department of English was started in 1956 and it is the first one in this College to be upgraded to post graduate status, in 1959. It is at present recognised as Research Centre. For its enviable achievements over the years, this department is the best of its kind in the whole of the University of Calicut.
It was built up by two stalwarts who did their doctoral research on either shores of the Atlantic-Rev. Dr. Theodosius (1956-63) at the Catholic University of Notre Dame, Indiana (USA) and Dr. A. Sivaramasubramnannia Iyer (1959-62) at London University. Prof. C.A Sheppard (1962-74) who succeeded Dr. Iyer as the HoD took the department to the acme of glory. He could do this because he had worthy colleagues like Rev. Fr. Reynolds, Rev. Fr. Ivans, Prof. T.K Mani, Prof. P.K.G Vijayaram, Prof. P Jayendran, Dr. R. Viswanathan, and Dr. George V Andrews, all retired from service now, and the glorious tradition they set is assiduously maintained and sometimes improved upon by the second generation of teachers.
Inauguration of Prof. Terrence Memorial Centre for Computer Aided Education (C-CAED) was on 9 October 2006.
The department has the most enviable record of having produced 64 rank holders at the University level and 91 winners in the national level examination of UGC-NET.