The department was started in 1956 and upgraded to postgraduate level in 1998 and recognised as a research centre in 2005. 100% of the faculty members are PhD holders . The department has got well equipped and modernised laboratories for UG, PG and Research. The whole faculty is engaged in seriously research activities. Most of the faculty are involved in major/minor research projects funded by National Agencies.
The department is way ahead of its kind in the state in both academic achievement and research activities. It has produced many rank holders and UGC/CSIR winners. Apart from this department maintains an envious record of pass percentage in the University Examinations of both PG and UG classes.