Botany department which started functioning in 1957 and offered UG course from 1963 and PG course from 1981 became, in 2002, the very first department in Calicut University to be recognized as a Research Centre with Plant Physiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Plant Taxonomy as the thrust areas.
The members of the faculty are highly qualified ad have specialisation in different fields. 100% of the faculty are PhD holders and they are engaged in serious research activities undertaking various major and minor projects funded by different funding agencies at national/state level. The department has well furnished and well equipped laboratories and well maintained Botanical Garden.
The department has been producing excellent results at the UG and PG level and it has produced more than 50 rank holders in the University examinations and more than 30 winners in the UGC’s National Eligibility Tests.